PARROTLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PARROTLIFE

Parrots and Pals

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Harrisons

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
blacksheep

blacksheep

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-02-20

Harrisons Empty
PostSubject: Harrisons   Harrisons Orange2133rd March 2012, 7:04 am

So, I've read the booklet Bob kindly gave me, and gone through the samples. Elvis is not keen. I tried all of the conversion methods, and he's just happy to starve and wait it out lol little snot.

In the end just to use it up I powdered it and added it to his omelet with some frozen peppers. He LOVED IT. So a friend sent me some of the Harrisons Pepper stuff and that went down well! He's really keen on it, but won't eat it by its self. So instead he gets some cockatiel mix, some flaked almond or other nuts that I have around, and Pepper Harrisons for breakfast, followed by Johnston&Jeff Low Sunflower mix for lunch and whatever we have for tea - normally some sort of pasta with veg etc.

I've tried cutting back on the cockatiel mix, but the harrisons is thrown on the floor and he has a strop lol. At least he's eating it, right?

Also, Breakfast goes in the big bowl on the left, never on the right, if it goes on the right it goes on the floor. He likes to watch the fish when he eats breakfast. Lunch/Dinner goes on the right, so he can watch us when he eats. Breakfast treats (flaked almond etc) goes in the treat bowl by his sleepy perch. This is the Law of the Elvis. However, he has little treat bowls everywhere that I randomly fill with nuts, treats, paper, toys etc, for him to forage around in during the day when I am gone, he loves this. I sometimes tuck Harrisons in them as well, and its eaten from there as a treat - he just seems to think its not food, just a treat lol

Anyone else have a picky bird?

Oh, and Harrison's Parrot bread - could I mix in the Harrisons Pepper and some other things for a breakfast bread? Could I make up a load then freeze it and use as needed? Was thinking of making it in little muffin tins, defrost the night before and warm up carefully for breakfast? He loves a warm breakfast, I don't always have the time to do it for him, but lately I've kept baby food jars of various frozen veg around, warm them up and serve in his "breakfast treat bowl" at the weekends, so thought if I can freeze the bread and warm when needed he can have that for a daily breakfast with his other bits.

Really, I can't blame him to be honest! I know its good for him, but if I got pellets every day I would just throw it out as well. None of my pets tolerate pellets very well to be honest, I've tried with all of them! The rabbits did really well on special bunny pellets, but in their older age they're back on mixed food, but they'll all have pellets *with* something, just not on their own! I always make out how wonderful these pellets are, and have even eaten Harrisons with a smile to get Elvis to try it, while I'm not keen, he is lol.

So maybe mixing is the way forward with him? (what a discombobulated post, sorry guys!!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.blackishsheep.co.uk/
blacksheep

blacksheep

Harrisons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrisons   Harrisons Orange2133rd March 2012, 7:33 am

Quote :
• Bird Bread can be stored for 1 week in the refrigerator and 1 year in the freezer after baking.
• Baked Bird Bread can be divided into portions, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed back in the original Harrison’s Bird Foods bag for storage in the freezer.
• Bird Bread should not be reheated in a plastic container.

Reading would have helped LOL

Can I bake it in the little silicon fairy cake cups?
Back to top Go down
jules

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-09-18

Harrisons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrisons   Harrisons Orange2136th March 2012, 3:40 am

oh elvis has you trained doesnt he? and i thought jasper was fussy lol.bowls for this,bowls for that lol! at least he's happy eh?

if elvis likes his harrisons mixed then so be it,at least he likes them and eats them. eating them as treats is ok too as he gets them in other ways.

i think you can put them in with the birdy bread but only a few as maybe it would be too much (like a vitamin overload?) or you could buy wholewheat flour or spelt (expensive but should last a while) and make up your own,or whatever elvis says he wants in it Very Happy if he's enjoying his food this way then why not?

using the silicon cups is ok too,they're safe enough i'm sure. happy baking
Back to top Go down
blacksheep

blacksheep

Harrisons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrisons   Harrisons Orange2136th March 2012, 4:40 am

lol we're very well trained humans Wink Took us FOREVER to work out that he needs the BIGGEST BOWL POSSIBLE for his main breakfast and dinner, and not to full, he likes to spread it all around and see ALL of the offerings to choose from before eating *rolls eyes* but at least he stops throwing it on the floor and sorting through it there! He LOVES his litter box (new clean never used btw lol) because he can throw the whole bowl in it, sort out everything, add some toys, sort it some more, add some water, then have his breakfast. Whatever keeps him distracted from his thoughts on world domination gets my vote any day! Sadly he decided to eat the litter box, so on the hunt for a plain steel tray for him to use instead lol. May just get another litter box, they're cheap and he doesn't actually swallow bits, which I know because I step on the tiny shrapnel of plastic hell Laughing

I may pop some in the bread maker and give it a go first. he likes toast and stuff, so it may be a good start then get him on little muffins with things in it. Good call Smile

and yeah, at the end of the day I can't make him eat something, so as long as he WANTS it and its sort of good for him, why not! He needs to cut back on the curry and bagels though Wink

thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jules

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-09-18

Harrisons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrisons   Harrisons Orange21310th March 2012, 3:33 am

i love your description of elvis sorting through and adding stuff to his litter tray Smile he does sound lovley,and i really do hope he learns to calm down and stop screaming

i have a recipe for chickpea curry if you want to make one especially for elvis? it is from a book i bought for a parrot rescue charity,i'm sure they wont mind me sharing one or two recipes. you could always adapt it for yourselves after putting out elvis' share Very Happy i've yet to try it myself so i cant comment on the result but i'm sure it's very nice
Back to top Go down
blacksheep

blacksheep

Harrisons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrisons   Harrisons Orange21310th March 2012, 5:37 am

haha he is an ace bird, I try to describe his oddities the best way possible, he's got a pretty good fan base over on my LiveJournal LOL he is really such an odd little thing.

He's still screeching at my husband, who has started turning on the back light (which caused the Woofing Fiasco LOL) so that keeps him busy barking at the light instead of screeching Wink

I'd love the curry recipe Smile I've got some curry powder I add to new things to make them more interesting for him, but they all have garlic so I use them sparingly!
Back to top Go down
bob

bob

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2007-02-04

Harrisons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrisons   Harrisons Orange21310th March 2012, 9:23 am

I think Cockatoos are the night watchmen of the parrot family, Diane has just let the dogs out before she went to bed, as usual Rupert has kicked off big time and all the others are telling him to shut up.
He will sit on his perch all day in the shop without making too much noise and yet at home he is a nightmare the leat movement and he kicks off. then of course chalkie (the other cockatoo starts)
As soon as the security lights come on Rupert is awake and starts screaming
Food wise he won't eat Harrison's but will eat the bird bread by the ton.
Strange creatures!
Back to top Go down
http://www.midlandparrots.com
blacksheep

blacksheep

Harrisons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrisons   Harrisons Orange21310th March 2012, 10:31 am

lol Rupert may as well be Elvis's long lost brother Razz

Elvis has decided if we are down stairs he will, WILL, watch TV. I think putting the end of the cover up is what he wanted all along! Silly parrot is actually a bat in disguise!*

I am going to have to put together an order, or just drop by the shop sometime soon Razz Gives me a good excuse!

(*I know this because he spent all day hanging upside down from a big bell going mental LOL)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Harrisons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harrisons   Harrisons Orange213

Back to top Go down

Harrisons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PARROTLIFE :: Main Forum :: Diets-
Jump to: