PARROTLIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PARROTLIFE

Parrots and Pals

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Meet Einstein :)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
birdslife

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-10-07

Meet Einstein :) Empty
PostSubject: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21322nd January 2012, 6:46 am

Meet Einstein :) A5252fea
Meet Einstein :) 1503bee2
Meet Einstein :) 832816f8
Meet Einstein :) 755e66f7
Meet Einstein :) 6d691c07

Hope you can view these Smile
Back to top Go down
jules

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21323rd January 2012, 5:34 am

oh he's soooo sweet and cute,i love their little baby eyes. they remind me of when jasper was younger Smile

are his wings clipped or is it because he's so young?
Back to top Go down
birdslife

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21323rd January 2012, 7:18 am

No his wings are clipped, why do you ask that?
Back to top Go down
bob

bob

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21323rd January 2012, 7:51 am

Hi Jules
Einstein has his wings trimmed, we trim all our birds slightly, we only have a couple of our own that aren't trimmed. Monty can fly now and I am leaving him just now as I don't want him stressed up again at the minute but he will be trimmed before summer,
At the minute he is a pain as he chases Ebony and lands on her back, he thinks its a great game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midlandparrots.com
jules

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21324th January 2012, 3:49 am

no reason,i thought they were as they're much shorter than jaspers. he has never been clipped as i didnt want him to be,although his breeder offered.

some breeders do it,others don't. it's all about preference i suppose. no offence meant to you liz or bob Smile
Back to top Go down
jules

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21324th January 2012, 3:51 am

i suppose though bob with your shop door opening and closing all the time it is a wise move Smile poor ebony being chased around
Back to top Go down
birdslife

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21324th January 2012, 5:04 am

Do you not clip ur birds feathers then jules? I am open to advise and own opinions, as I am new to this Smile
Regards Liz
Back to top Go down
bob

bob

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21324th January 2012, 6:05 am

Wing clipping has always been a contriversial subject.
I always ask a qusetion, Why does a parrot in captivity need his wings.?
In their own environment they only fly to find food, generally stay their all day and return to roost at dusk. They don't need to go and find food as they know exactly where it is, Yep in the bowl in the cage.
The worst thing that can ever happen is that you loose your parrot, We don't generally spook them it is usually someone else who perhaps isn't used to birds and when they come round they forget to close doors etc. It only takes a second for the bird to escape.

Of course everyone is entitled to their views on clipping and I will always leave that decision to the owner. We have customers that want a bird that isn't trimmed, my problem is that they cannot hold the bird in the shop unless we lock all the doors, even then if the buyer is a little inexperienced and lets the bird go, as you know, they always fly toward the light and most times the window is harder than their head and even although we think they may be ok, we never know what internal injuries they may have.
There are lots of reasons why we trim wings and so many 'For and against' wing triming and we are always interested in your views
Back to top Go down
jules

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21324th January 2012, 10:03 am

jaspers wings have never been clipped,i love to see him flying around and i'm always very careful when people call round. it's just something i didn't want,and felt it wasn't needed.plus the fact that (god forbid)if he ever did get out and become lost,i'd like to think he had every chance possible of protecting himself from the dangers of being out in the open,other wild birds or cats for example. i'm of the understanding that baby birds need full wings to strengthen their chest muscles ready for flight.with only a light clip they should still be able to do that. i have spoken to people whose birds have been clipped heavily or badly and they have accident after accident through not being able to fly properly. this is why they appear clumsy imo. they're still learning to balance and without their full feathers i believe they can't do that.

having said that i do understand why you clip your birds bob,yours is exceptional circumstances. as i said with the doors opening and closing all day long. you have to put the safety of your birds first Smile
Back to top Go down
bob

bob

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21324th January 2012, 10:35 am

Hi Jules
Most baby parrots are clumsy whether their wings ate clipped or not, we have 3 baby blue and golds that are coming up to 24 weeks and sometimes I think I have put something in the water. lol lol. they are not clipped yet.
If you talk to John Hayward at the Parrot Society, he will tell you that 70% of the birds that go missing in this country are clipped. One they get outside and the wind gets under their wings they will still get the lift.
You are correct though though that a poor clip or, in my opinion a single wing clip can cause problems,

Like I said earlier Jules, it is one of these subjects that is always going have lots of views, should I or shouldn't I, get it clipped

Just changing the subject a little, My Landlord was going to give us an area behind the shop. I was looking at putting a unit to display cages,stands etc and another area to have as a visitor centre but unfortunately he changed his mind and didn't give me the space.

The Warehouse we have is a bit bigger than the shop, so it is something that we are still thinking thinking about.
Back to top Go down
jules

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21325th January 2012, 7:00 am

that 70% though bob,i believe go missing because owners are misled into thinking their bird will not fly away. i have known people take their birds outside without a harness or cage,and like you said,one gust of wind and they're gone. exceptional circumstances,like yours are different.

it's a shame your landlord changed his mind about the warehouse,can't you persuade him?the extra space would be lovely Smile
Back to top Go down
bob

bob

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange21325th January 2012, 7:43 am

Unfotunately he has used the space for another display in the garden centre.
Bit annoyed really because we could have looked at other venues but never mind, sometimes things happen for a reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meet Einstein :)   Meet Einstein :) Orange213

Back to top Go down

Meet Einstein :)
Page 1 of 1